Wednesday, April 1, 2015

About Me: My typical day

My typical day (aka controlling the chaos that is my 4 year old and two year old) begins with an early wake up. And when I say early I'm talking about an average 5am wake up. (This morning it was 3:45 am!!!) My children don't sleep in and when they do I check to see if they are dead, no... really!

How does effect my etsy shop and the rest of my life?  

Well to begin with my early morning sometimes is the best time of day to crochet and sometimes not.  When my kids happen to sleep in I get silent uninterrupted moments that I try to work on my most complicated projects during.  There is nothing more irritating and aggravating like trying to battle my "little interrupters".  I love my kids, don't get me wrong, but I think most mothers feel like they have ADD when it comes to completing projects while being in charge of the kids.  It goes a little something like this...

Single Crochet
Single Crochet
Single Crochet
Sip of coffee
Single Crochet
Single Crochet
"What honey? Oh Doc McStuffins is still on its just a commercial."
Single Crochet
Single Crochet
"Son get off the coffee table"
Single Crochet
"Daughter your shirt is on backwards."
Single Crochet
"Stop hitting the dog with your Legos."
Single crochet
Anyway you get the picture.

So on days when I've got the silence I can speed through project like I was born to do it. I surprise myself at how fast I've become at not only doing the stitching but also understanding the language of crochet and knit and yarn.  I've only been crocheting since 2009 but I can't remember when I wasn't doing it.

So if I'm not working first thing in the day I try to crochet while my children are playing. Before school they ride bikes so I sit in a folding chair in our driveway to supervise.  When I first started sitting there I thought the neighbors would peg me as the "crazy crocheting lady" but recently a person passed by and wanted me to make them something!  I guess you can find business anywhere!

So after a morning crochet session I drop my daughter off at preschool then come home and do my motherly-wife-housekeeper duties.

Drop off and pick up times are quick 15 minute crochet session and then a park session in the afternoon where I do double duty. If you couldn't tell I carry my crochet with me everywhere. I even carried it to the SSN office when I got married and had to legally change my name.  I finished almost a whole baby blanket during a glucose test that lasted three hours when they checked to see if I had gestational diabetes.  If there is a wait time I'm filling it with hexagons or headbands or blankets. 

At night, after hubby gets home from work there isn't much time to crochet but if he does fall asleep early I get a few minutes in. Actually I've never really thought about how much time I do crochet but I guess I'm addicted!!!!

At least this addiction turns into profit!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment